Regarding re-entry into UK after 7months, with an EEA2 visa

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

amandasoon28

Regarding re-entry into UK after 7months, with an EEA2 visa

Post by amandasoon28 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Good evening,

I am Amanda Soon Yue Ling and a Singapore citizen with an EEA2 visa. I am married to a Polish citizen who has worked in the UK for 8 years. We have been together for 5 years and got married in London in 2014 and have been married for 2 years. I have been working in London since then till we decided to leave London together in May 2016 to travel South East Asia for work and holiday reasons. Then Brexit happened while we were travelling, and we decided to try get a job in Singapore but it didn't work out for my partner. She is back in Poland working and I am in Singapore doing an internship. We have both been out of the UK for 7 months. I am planning to return by mid March with my partner.The question I want to ask is, is my EEA2 visa still valid for entry into the UK and EU, and has and will Brexit changed our status as a couple in the UK? Will we have issues getting back into the UK at immigration checkpoints? I would also like to ask if it's advisable to make an appointment with the consular or pay a visit to the embassy office in Singapore? Do let me know as it will help a lot, as it will help to know if I need to get back to the UK asap? To renew visas and get a footing. It would help and mean so much for us as an LGBT couple who are from different countries trying to make a life together.

Regards,
Amanda Soon

Jetlag001

Re: Regarding re-entry into UK after 7months, with an EEA2 v

Post by Jetlag001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi
The first thing to remember here is that the UK is still a member of the EU and Brexit will take some time as we haven't even started the exit process yet. If you are travelling back to the UK together your partner will be exercising her treaty rights and your claim to admission cannot be refused unless there are reasons for refusal (for example criminality)
Your EEA2 permit is still valid regardless of how long you have been absent since it is not a grant of "leave" and is extant as long as your relationship is subsisting and therefore not subject to the "two year rule" that ILR would be.
You should encounter no problems on re entry as you state that you will be travelling together but if you are not then your partner should be intending to join you in the UK within a reasonable time frame
Best
Joe

amandasoon28

Post by amandasoon28 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 am

Oh, this is really really great news Thank you so much for you kind reply. I am worried because i read somewhere that the EEA2 visa of a non-EU who has been out of the UK for more than 3 months; might be invalid upon entering the UK after. Are you sure that they wouldnt refuse me entry on those grounds despite my partner and i coming in tgt and having been out of the UK for over 3 months? Thank you :)

Jetlag001

Post by Jetlag001 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm

If you are travelling together you can accompany your Polish Partner for up to three months without the requisite permit so you shouldn't encounter any issues.
EU admission is not a grant of "Leave" and remains in perpetuity so long as you are partners and the UK is still in the EU