EEA4 Question

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

amlliwi

EEA4 Question

Post by amlliwi » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi, I am in a civil partnership with an Italian citizen and I'm planning to apply for PR (EEA4) on the fifth anniversary of our civil partnership this December. My partner has been exercising treaty rights for the past 8 years.
We haven't been living together for the past 2 years but all my post arrives at his house, we both thought this could help my application.

- Should I state in the application that we live together?. this is to make sense with all the documents I'll use as proves all of which have my partner's address on it. Or should I mark as we don't live together but take the risk of looking suspicious to the HO?.

- Can I use my current address as the postal address to receive the documents from the home office? even though this address is nowhere on the documents I'll send?.

- Hows is the 6 months rule out of the UK apply and how is this time calculated?.

- Is it strictly necessary to fill the form?. can I use an old version of the form that has less intrusive questions?.

- My partner has already send his application for PR as an EEA citizen, can I somehow use this in my advantage?.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

enic

Re: EEA4 Question

Post by enic » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi amlliwi,

I may not have all the answers and I'm definitely not a professional, but here's my opinion on things I feel I could comment on:
  • As far as I recall, there's no strict rule that you should be living together. However, your description makes it sound like you two are separated, so I'd make sure HO has no doubt that you are still in a legitimate relationship.
  • I definitely don't endorse lying, but if you've received all your mail at his address, it'd be easier not to complicate things and just use this address everywhere, even in the application.
  • Please note that 5-year rule excludes any time you've been outside UK (holidays and any other trips). So unless you never left UK in the past 5 years, you probably should wait longer than the 5-year anniversary of your CP.
  • If your partner gets PR as an EEA by the time you apply, this should definitely make things easier as you won't need to prove all the treaty-exercising points, but just focusing on proving the validity of your relationship (shouldn't be hard).
  • Definitely use the most up-to-date version of any form, straight from .GOV sites.
Just my two-cents, make sure to check any verify these things of course.

Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for you! :wink:
amlliwi wrote:Hi, I am in a civil partnership with an Italian citizen and I'm planning to apply for PR (EEA4) on the fifth anniversary of our civil partnership this December. My partner has been exercising treaty rights for the past 8 years.
We haven't been living together for the past 2 years but all my post arrives at his house, we both thought this could help my application.

- Should I state in the application that we live together?. this is to make sense with all the documents I'll use as proves all of which have my partner's address on it. Or should I mark as we don't live together but take the risk of looking suspicious to the HO?.

- Can I use my current address as the postal address to receive the documents from the home office? even though this address is nowhere on the documents I'll send?.

- Hows is the 6 months rule out of the UK apply and how is this time calculated?.

- Is it strictly necessary to fill the form?. can I use an old version of the form that has less intrusive questions?.

- My partner has already send his application for PR as an EEA citizen, can I somehow use this in my advantage?.

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.
Directive 2004/38/EC: My Bible and guide when navigating the Seven Seas of European immigration policies.