Unable to find a job with COA Letter

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

buckycasuals

Unable to find a job with COA Letter

Post by buckycasuals » Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm South African married to EEA National. We moved to UK from New Zealand last year with Family Permit which i have been using to work in the UK without problems. Recently, i applied for Temporary residence permit/card. I got my COA letter a week later stating that i have every right to work in the UK or secure a job with the letter. Unfortunately, i lost my job few weeks later. I have been trying my best to secure another job but all to no avail. Employers kept asking for my passport which i already sent to UKBA. I called UKBA few times explaining the whole situation and they gave me a number (helpline) to give any potential employer requesting for my passport or unable to give me a job. Some of them took the number, but did nothing with it. Some of them were eager to offer me a job but decline later. I've been at home for almost 4 weeks now going through different agencies with nothing to show for it.
I reckon someone saying that i can use my birth certificate, which is not useful because i was not born in UK. Secondly, my driving licence is not valid in the UK and i have not been driving since last year prior to moving to the UK.
I have no idea how RC can take such a long time (6 months) to process. Who does that? ....
My questions:
1. Should i apply to get my passport back? Does it have an effect on the outcome of the application? Does it mean that my application will be canceled as a result?
2. Is there any way to convince potential employer about the authenticity of the COA letter?
3. Why would they send COA letter only, when it's not enough to get a job without your passport as a non-EU national?

Frustrated Pete

chaoclive

Re: Unable to find a job with COA Letter

Post by chaoclive » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 am

buckycasuals wrote: 1. Should i apply to get my passport back? Does it have an effect on the outcome of the application? Does it mean that my application will be canceled as a result? UP TO YOU, BUT IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE APPLICATION. WE REQUESTED MY PARTNER'S PASSPORT BACK. HE JUST RECEIVED THE EEA2 (AT THAT TIME) ON AN A4 PAGE (CALLED AN 'IMMIGRATION STATUS DOCUMENT'). WE HAVE USED THIS TO TRAVEL TO SPAIN AND FRANCE SO FAR. THERE WERE NO PROBLEMS WITH EMPLOYERS IN THE UK.
2. Is there any way to convince potential employer about the authenticity of the COA letter? IF THEY'RE NOT WILLING TO CONTACT THE NUMBER YOU HAVE GIVEN THEM, I WOULND'T THINK THAT ANYTHING ELSE YO CAN DO IS GOING TO PERSUADE THEM. SORRY...
3. Why would they send COA letter only, when it's not enough to get a job without your passport as a non-EU national? IT IS ENOUGH. MY PARTNER FOUND A JOB WITH THE COA. IT DEPENDS ON THE EMPLOYER. MY PARTNER'S EMPLOYER WAS HAPPY TO ACCEPT THIS, COUPLED WITH A COPY OF HIS PASSPORT. HE ALSO PROVIDED HIS BANK STATEMENT AND HIS UK PROVISIONAL DRIVING LICENSE (AS PROOF OF ID) BUT THE EMPLOYER DIDN'T REALLY LOOK AT THOSE.

Frustrated Pete