Visa type/process for Brazilian joining EU national

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Visa type/process for Brazilian joining EU national

Post by klaus75 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:36 pm


I am a Brazilian national. My German partner has recently transferred from Ireland to the UK with his company.

We've been living together for longer than 5 years prior to his relocation and I've got a Stamp 4EUFam five year visa with a full permission to work based on our successful application in Ireland for the 'De Facto Partnership'.

I'm currently still in Ireland as I have only recently took on a new job but am looking to join my partner in the UK very soon. I am looking to get an unrestricted work permit in the UK.

Now I am a bit confused which application process to go through. Will I need to use form VAF4A (which may not allow me to work) as per the guidance on this website or will I apply as for an unmarried partner visa through the Visa4UK website. The requirements and also fees for either process seem to be quite different. VaF4A seems to be free whereas the unmarried partner visa costs over 1300 Euros. As the visa fee needs to be paid in advance I would like to be 100% sure if I am applying for the right visa.

Any advice is highly appreciated.


Senior Member
Posts: 3276
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:08 pm
Location: Nuneaton

Re: Visa type/process for Brazilian joining EU national

Post by martyn » Sun May 17, 2015 8:48 am

You need to make an application under EU immigration rules in much the same was as you did when you applied for the ‘visa’ for Ireland – form VAF5 as it is called here. VAF4A is an application under UK immigration rules and they all incur a substantial fee - they are not free.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see for a list of solicitors

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests