EEA4 / Schengen question

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

auroma

EEA4 / Schengen question

Post by auroma » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Hello,

First some good news, just received my EEA4 and it took 29 days compared to the 7 months it took for my EEA2. As always this board is a tremendous source of support. Thank you.

My question is: With the EEA2, I didn't require a visa when travelling with my partner to mainland Europe. Do the same rules apply for EEA4?

Thank you,
Ar

martyn

Re: EEA4 / Schengen question

Post by martyn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:50 pm

As far as I know, yes. The only way you become truly free from immigration control within the EEA is stay in one member country long enough to become a citizen of that country and get an EEA passport.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

JuaVier

Post by JuaVier » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:59 am

auroma wrote:Hello,

First some good news, just received my EEA4 and it took 29 days compared to the 7 months it took for my EEA2. As always this board is a tremendous source of support. Thank you.

My question is: With the EEA2, I didn't require a visa when travelling with my partner to mainland Europe. Do the same rules apply for EEA4?

Thank you,
Ar
Hi,
Congratulations on your EEA4, does it states "Family member of an EEA National" ? If it does, you shouldn't need one. Have you tried travelling since you got it?

auroma

Post by auroma » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Nope, it doesn't state EEA Family member. I checked with various embassies and they've confirmed I need a Schengen visa, which I now use. I think the German embassy website says a Permanent Residence Permit is valid but I don't want to risk it.