Travelling to Europe with EEA2

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

JuaVier

Travelling to Europe with EEA2

Post by JuaVier » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm writing this post to share my experience and encourage more people to do the same.

I got my EEA2 (non-EEA family member) last year, and since then I tried to travel as much as I could, but afraid of travelling without Schengen Visa, I read a lot of blogs and posts but nothing was clear. Anyway, so far I've been successful with minor questions at the border control.

I've travelled to
France twice, once by train another one by plane. (with some questions)
Netherlands (Asked where my partner was)
Italy (No questions asked)
Spain (No questions asked)

France and Italy are known for being the most complicated in applying the Directive 2004/38/EC, because they don't recognise same-sex civil partnerships, but I've been there without Schengen visa and nothing happened. In France the first time we needed to explain the EEA2 and Directive, and they said OK!, second time they asked me where my partner was and I just point at him, at that was it, and when the Border Control agent has questions they normally ask to another agent and they'll find someone who knows.

With this I hope to help solving some of the worries that you might have when travelling with EEA2 and not Schengen visa, and I will invite you to make full use of your rights by travelling just with the EEA2 (and of course your partner) without requesting Schengen Visa, at least to me it has worked, and that helps to spread the word and let the border control agents know about the Directive.

Hope that everyone who tries is going to be successful as well as me.

Enjoy the free EU movement!

Cheers!

JuaVier

mym

Re: Travelling to Europe with EEA2

Post by mym » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you for the report JuaVier, good to know that common sense usually prevails.
--
Mark. London UK.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

charles

Post by charles » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:41 am

That was a very helpful report, sometimes we worry too much about the application of the rules, for fear of a rejection and the spoiling of a trip. Did you take any documents, other than obviously both your passports, on these trips?

Diesto

Post by Diesto » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 pm

What about travelling to "join" the EEA national!!???

I have an EEA 2 Residence stamp and I want to travel to Spain ALONE!!, my partner will join me after a week (his company would not give him the same hollidays as me, nor my company would give me hollidays at the same time as me) so basically I have to enjoy half of my hollidays alone, or perhaps all alone, since my partner is always a last minute person, and he will probably cancel last minute...

But what about me??? Should I just simply take the plane and tell the inmigration officers that my parnet is coming soon.. And give them his phone number or what??? I am scared of showing up there and be sent back, and my dreams of beach and sunschine lost...

Advice please!!!!!

mym

Post by mym » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 pm

You might get asked nothing or you might get asked where your partner is (in which case you might be refused, as you should be travelling to join him, not in advance of him) - it's a risk and only you can decide if you want to take it.
--
Mark. London UK.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

JuaVier

Post by JuaVier » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

charles wrote:That was a very helpful report, sometimes we worry too much about the application of the rules, for fear of a rejection and the spoiling of a trip. Did you take any documents, other than obviously both your passports, on these trips?
Hi, sorry for my late reply. I've always taken my CP registration with me as well as a copy of the Directive just in case, but border control officers don't bother that far, they just ask couple of questions and only check your passport, stamp it (that they shouldn't) and that is it. But the fact they stamp the passport helped me to demonstrate that I don't actually need a Schengen visa in my next trips, so it is easier to explain.

Good luck!

JuaVier

Post by JuaVier » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Everyone!

I've had more recent experiences travelling within Europe and it's always been different, some times it is really easy and some time the Border Control Agents get quite difficult, but in the end there is never a problem, so please keep travelling and lets educate and inform all those agents about the freedom of movement, last time was in Madrid I was travelling from Canary Islands to London with a stop in Madrid, they want me to go to another door and go through customs and everything again, I speak spanish so I push it a little bit and said NO and explained the situation and they allowed me to pass with no further problems, but that shows one more time that not everyone knows about the freedom of movement with this EEA2 visa.

Good luck and keep travelling.

Cheers!

JuaVier

Iyk13

Post by Iyk13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello there,

just a question... Did you ever travel anywherein Europe on your own without a schengen and depending only on your EEA2? If so, which countries?

Thank you

JuaVier

Post by JuaVier » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:41 am

Iyk13 wrote:Hello there,

just a question... Did you ever travel anywherein Europe on your own without a schengen and depending only on your EEA2? If so, which countries?

Thank you
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I never got a notification about your post.

I have never travelled on my own, always with my partner, if you are planing to travel on your own, I would strongly recommend you to apply for the Schengen Visa, it should be free of charge, apply preferably on your partner's country of origin or to the country you are travelling to.

Since my original post, I have traveled again to Spain and France, in both occasions I've been asked about my "wife" and my husband was next to me, I just pointed at him and they understood and let us go through.In Spain there were two police men one knew everything and the other police was questioning more because he didn't know anything about the EEA2 or EEA Law, the good thing about that is that more people learns about our rights and will stop questioning in the future.