schengen visa Germany via Belguim

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

click

schengen visa Germany via Belguim

Post by click » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm on spouse visa (my partner is british) and I've applied for schengen visa. As I applied for germany tourist visa so germany should be the first landing point. We are going there by train from london to belgium and belgium to berlin.

My question is do I need to apply for belgium visa as well because we are travelling by train via belgium so belgium should be the first landing point.

Please if anyone had such experience in the past please let me know.

Many Thanks

martyn

Re: schengen visa Germany via Belguim

Post by martyn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:41 pm

They are all Schengen countries. You apply for the visa at the embassy of the country you will spend most time in when you are visiting multiple countries.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

mikko

Post by mikko » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm

click wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm on spouse visa (my partner is british) and I've applied for schengen visa. As I applied for germany tourist visa so germany should be the first landing point. We are going there by train from london to belgium and belgium to berlin.

My question is do I need to apply for belgium visa as well because we are travelling by train via belgium so belgium should be the first landing point.

Please if anyone had such experience in the past please let me know.

Many Thanks

Contacted the Embassy about the same situation, here is their response

A valid Schengen visa enables the holder to travel to any Schengen country at any time within its validity.

Anrede: Frau
Surname: ****
Forename(s): ******
Postal address :
Postcode, town/city  :
Tel./Fax :
Email: ***********@gmail.com
Your comments / query: I have applied for a schengen visa to travel to heidelberg this October. Due to unforeseen circumstances, i had trouble with my flights and have to consider travelling on eurostar and connect to brussels to continue my journey to germany via ICE. Thus, my first port of entry had changed and it will be belgium. Will this be a problem? I am a family member of an eea national holding the residence documentation  under the directive 2004/38/ec

maviesk

Post by maviesk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:36 am

As already stated, the guidelines basically state that you apply for the visa from the country in which your are planning to spend the most time. Since you're travelling by train from London to Berlin, it's perfectly acceptable that you apply for a visa from Germany since you'll be staying there. They might ask you about it at border control but I suspect that it's more reasonable to expect people to travel through countries to get to their main destination that way than it is by air..