Civil Partnership with non EEA member and Czech

Is the sponsor an EU/EEA or Swiss national ? To what extent is freedom of movement still restricted for same-sex couples in the EU ? Do you have experience of immigration bureaucracy in other European countries ? Please also visit EU/EEA page in the main website

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

freddo

Civil Partnership with non EEA member and Czech

Post by freddo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi, I am from Czech Republic but live and work in UK for last 4.5 years. I would like to do Civil Partnership with my boyfriend. He is Bolivian and lives in London. He just reapplies for one year student visa. We know each other for half year. I do have “Worker Registration Scheme” but don’t have “REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE IN THE UK BY EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA ((EEA))” do I need this for partnership registration? Or is it enough straight away apply for COA?
Also wonder after we register if he can enter with me schengen area as I am citizen of Czech Republic or he has to apply every time he wants to go with me or alone into schengen area? Thank you J+F

martyn

Re: Civil Partnership with non EEA member and Czech

Post by martyn » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

You will need the registration certificate, which you can apply for after being on the WRS for a year. Once he has registered he can apply for a Residence Permit which can be used as a Schengen visa.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

freddo

Re: Civil Partnership with non EEA member and Czech

Post by freddo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi

We are back here again after some time. Can you help us once more please?

With Brexit upon us I decided to become British citizen which happened in July this year so now I have dual citizenship Czech Republic and British.
We got registered with my partner in 2010 and after 5 years he applied for resident visa and has been issued "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen" valid for 10 years with remarks: EU right to reside.

My question is as I read somewhere on the net that as soon as I became British citizen the exercising EU treaty rights stopped applying on me therefore my partner is technically illegally in the UK.

What shall be our next step? His idea was to wait another 2 years and apply for residency based on length of stay in UK (10 years) or shall we apply for UK residency based on the fact that I became British citizen and hope that this time he will get unlimited residency card and after one year he can apply for British citizenship as well?

Please advise as I couldn't find any similar case on this forum.

Best regards

J+F