Implication of supporting an asylum seeker

General questions about asylum on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity. Please visit www.uklgig.org.uk/asylum.htm

Moderators: Ian, uklgig

question

Implication of supporting an asylum seeker

Post by question »

Hi there,

A friend of mine has been asked to write a letter of support confirming that he's housing(which he is) and supporting an asylum seeker and that he will continue to house and support him. This is needed in order to help the asylum seeker gain legal aid which at the moment he's unable to get due to the fact that he does not have a bank account and thus cannot prove he has no money.

I was wondering if there are any implication for my friend and will it affect his property i.e. his address.

Many thanks

Tom

martyn

Re: Implication of supporting an asylum seeker

Post by martyn »

I would contact the office. They deal with asylum seekers and the issues surrounding them all the time.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

question

Post by question »

HI martyn,

Which office are you referring to?

Thanks

martyn

Post by martyn »

Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

question

Post by question »

Thanks and ave a great day!

harishvk

Post by harishvk »

Hi

My girlfriend is from Nepal. Came in 2009 as student. Stayed legally with extensions till 2016. Since then overstayed illegally. Filed asylum 10 months ago. Last went out of UK in 2013.shw has a solicitor who says good chances. Ground for application- abusive ex husband.

We don't want to get married just for the visa. I can support her. Lives with me now.

What are the do's and don't s?

How can I help her?
What should I not do?

Any advice will be helpful.

Thank you
Best regards

Harish