SET(M) application successful

Immigration topics relating to unmarried/civil partnerships, same sex marriages, or cross border partnerships in general. If you have already studied the immigration rules page on the uklgig website, but still have unanswered questions, post them here or in the EU/EEA forum below.

Moderators: Ian, mym, briandgb

click

SET(M) application successful

Post by click » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi,

I got my ILR approved today in b'ham PEO after 2 years on Spouse visa. This forum is really very helpful. A big thanks to everyone I really appreciate your help.

I just got one more question related to Naturalisation application. Please have a look at below timeline and advice me please what to do.

I arrived in UK on student visa in early 2006. I extended my student visa in late 2008 and then in late 2009 i was granted PSW (Post Study Work visa).

In August 2011 I got civil partnership with my British partner and I got 2 years Spouse visa. And today I've got ILR visa. In total I've been living here for 7 years and I left UK twice in 7 years and not more then 30 days in each visit.

So for Naturalisation application do I need to wait for another 1 year or am I aligible to apply straight away?

Would someone please advice me what to do?

Thanks

martyn

Re: SET(M) application successful

Post by martyn » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:43 pm

I believe you are eligible now. The spouse of a British citizen can apply for naturalisation after being lawfully in the UK for 3 years and at the time of applying must be free from immigration control – which you are as you now have ILR. The last two years you were here on the FLR(M) visa and before that you had a PSW visa.

There are other things to check, and you must have been physically in the UK exactly three years ago from the date you actually make your application, so make sure that doesn’t coincide with one of your brief absences from the UK.

Check the eligibility requirements here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/

I would definitely recommend using the Nationality Checking Service. They will check your eligibility before submitting your application, make sure you have all the correct documents, take your payment, and photocopy your passport so you do not have to submit that. And it only costs around £30 – can’t remember exactly – and compared with the other fees you get charged by the Home Office this one really is value for money.
Any responses on this forum represent the opinion of the writer only
If you need legal advice, see http://uklgig.org.uk/?page_id=100 for a list of solicitors

click

Re: SET(M) application successful

Post by click » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the reply.

One more question. I need 2 referee's as well. I've one referee but I'm still looking for 2nd referee. We live in a three bed room shared house and our landlord lives there as well in the same house. Can my landlord be my referee? Even though we gona have same address on the application form.

Thanks