referees for naturalisation

Immigration topics relating to unmarried/civil partnerships, same sex marriages, or cross border partnerships in general. If you have already studied the immigration rules page on the uklgig website, but still have unanswered questions, post them here or in the EU/EEA forum below.

Moderators: Ian, briandgb

Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:41 am

referees for naturalisation

Post by ronali »

Hello, this is a question about the two referees needed for naturalisation. We saw the list of what counts as a professional, sadly we do not know many people in the categories that are listed. However, we do know a retired accountant. So the question is: would a retired professional be OK as a referee?
In the list it says 'officer of the armed services- active or retired' which seems to imply that the other professions should be 'active'...any thoughts? many thanks

Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 am

Re: referees for naturalisation

Post by kajola »


you can try contacting the home office to check if they would accept a retired accountant.

We were lucky in that we had a friend who is a 'civil servant' and was able to be our "professional" referee for my wife's Citizenship application. Otherwise, like a lot of people, we would have had no one else on the list that we knew!

I did call the below on other matters regarding the citizenship process, and did get some guidance, so hopefully they will be able to assist with your question.

Citizenship and nationality enquiries:
Telephone: 0300 123 2253
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4:45pm
Friday, 9am to 4:30pm

Good luck!