UKLGIG is a registered charity providing information on immigration rights for same sex couples and support for LGBT asylum seekers.
Responses posted here should not be considered a substitute for expert and specific legal advice.
Main website at  www.uklgig.org.uk

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Application Delayed (exceptionally complex issues)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 pm 

Hello, I'm a non-EU national and me and my partner got married in the UK last year while I was on a student visa (Tier 4) and we submitted our first visa application in January before my student visa expired.

We chose standard process (8 weeks) and on the 7th week we received a letter saying the following:

'Although we would normally decide your application within eight weeks from the date it was submitted, unfortunately, this is not going to be possible in your case.

This is because your application raises exceptionally complex issues and we require further time to consider your case thoroughly and reach a decision'

They say they expect to make a decision within another 8 more weeks but they would write again if it isn't possible.

I tried contacting them but it didn't help. I am just a bit concerned as to why this happened and was wondering if anyone else went through something like this.

I was doing an unpaid internship at the time of my application and the delay has affected my job prospects, I am getting more and more worried each day since I don't really know what to expect.

Thank you,
Martin

Post subject: Re: Application Delayed (exceptionally complex issues)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm 

It is what it said on the letter - they need more time to decide your application as it raises 'complex issues'.

From your previous post, these 'complex issues' could potentially be either your sponsor (or together with you) did not meet the financial requirements or the Home Office have doubts of your relationship with your sponsor. These are the two typical scenarios but could be other issues. Try not to over speculate and worry unnecessarily - let your application takes its due course.

You may approach your local MP for help. They have a dedicated team at Home Office to deal with visa application status queries raised by constituents through their local MPs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:33 pm 

Thank you, I know I should try to calm and stay positive. We were aware that it would take some time, odds did not seem to be in our favour but we felt like we had to at least try. We managed to comply with financial requirements thanks to the other sources of income listed in online Visa Form.

What's eating me is the lack of communication. Not knowing what's happening or if there's anything we can do. I'm starting to feel trapped and frustrated, not being able to help my husband with house expenses as my savings are running out or function normally in society.

We submitted our application on January 17th. On March 8th we received the letter claiming they expected to reach a decision by April 28th.

Today, April 22nd we have received a similar letter claiming they wouldn't be able to reach a decision until May 15th.

I will try to approach the local MP and seek advice. Thank you so much for your help, I don't know any people who can give advice on this matter so it really means a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:00 pm 

I have the feeling it is to do with the types of documentation/evidence submitted with respect to your 'other sources of income'.

Did you let a lawyer assess whether you fulfil the financial requirement and run through your evidence used for meeting the financial requirement?

Delay by Home Office does not mean your application is destined for rejection. Your application may be approved at the end. Fingers crossed for good news!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:01 pm 

Hi. Did you received your visa decision. I also received this exceptionally complex issue letter. Its been 3 months to apply tier4 with depandent. After 8 weeks I received complex issue letter. Now iths more than a month. And i am still waiting for decision. Could you please update about your case. Thanks