UKLGIG is a registered charity providing information on immigration rights for same sex couples and support for LGBT asylum seekers.
Responses posted here should not be considered a substitute for expert and specific legal advice.
Main website at  www.uklgig.org.uk

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FLR(M) 5 Year Route - 1st Application Success
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am Taiwanese and my husband is a British citizen, we got lots of helps from people in this forum, so we like to share some of our experience in here.

As we like to get my visa sooner, we chose to apply in person at Croydon premium service centre (this costs extra £500.00). Our appointment was at 12:20pm, 13 March 2017 and got our result about 17:00 at the same day.

Here is what we submited (from No.3 to No.11 are all with photocopies):
1. UKVI appointment booking checklist. (Including Immigration Health Surcharge £500.00 paid beforehand)

2. FLR(M) application form with two passport photos of myself and one of my husband attached.

3. Covering letter.

4. My current and expired passports.

5. My husbound’s British passport.

6. My expired biometric residence permit. (post-study work visa)

7. Relationship evidence.
(a) Personal statements from my husband and myself.
(b) Letters of support from third parties.
(c) A selection of photographs documenting our relationship.
(d) A selection of e-mail correspondence between my husband and myself covering the period 2011 to November 2016 (about 68 pages).
(e) Booking confirmations (flights/accommodation/tours) for our trips to visit each other.
(g) Our wedding invitation.
(h) Our marriage certificate.

8. Financial evidence (we used my husband’s savings as opposed to income for simplicity).
(a) Husband’s cash saving declaration.
(b) A bank statement.

9. My academic certificate (UK degree) for English requirement.

10. Official copy from Land Registry.

11. Items of correspondence addressed to my husband and myself.
(a) In joint names:
- Water bill
- Council tax bill
- Power company account information (printed online)
(b) In my name:
- Bank statement (A account; Lloyds Bank)
- Bank statement (B account; Lloyds Bank)
- Bank letter (A account, Santander bank)
- Mobile phone bill
- TV licensing letter
(c) In my husband’s name:
- Bank statement (A account; Santander Bank)
- Bank statement (B account; Santander Bank)
- Bank letter (C account, Santander bank)
- Bank statement (A account, Barclays Bank)
- Bank statement (Virgin Money)
- Building society savings statement (Nationwide)

Note:
1. In this application, the most stressful part for us was collecting our correspondence address items. My husband had to make a lot of phone calls to make things to be in place. The reasons for these hassles were because: some of the sources that we wanted to use were only available online (won’t send out paper copy), can’t put both of our names on the letter, a letter that we were expecting didn’t arrive, they misspelt my name on one letter , etc. We also had some troubles at opening our joint bank account, because the bank said that I needed to have a valid visa that lasts longer than six months, which is impossible in my case, because I only had a six month Fiance Visa. It would be wise to think ahead and tackle this task as soon as you can.

2. The entrance of the Croydon premium service centre has a security check, it is almost like the one you would see in any airport.

3. We had been told that it was a busy day, but still it was much longer than we thought it would be. I would suggest to be prepared, maybe bring something to kill time. There is a cafe in the building that sells drinks and snacks. If you like you can get out of the building while you are waiting for the result as well.

4. We had been told by our officer that we don’t have to provide a photocopy of the completed FLR(M) application form. However, they will take the original completed form away, so if you would like to keep a copy of your application form for future reference, make a copy.

5. When we summited our supporting documents, we intended to summit greeting cards/postcards that we sent to each other as evidence of our genuine relationship. The officer told us that they don’t want them, so we had to leave them out. She specifically asked us “do we include our marriage certificate?” at that time, so we guess that is the most important thing to be included!

6. Originally, I put all the required documents and other supporting documents (they were well-organised) in an A4 arch lever folder, and all the photocopies in a second arch lever folder. But we were asked to pull them all out and put the original documents in a document wallet that was provided by them, and put the photocopies in another wallet, which was also provided by them.

7. They won’t return the expired biometric residence permit as they will issue a new one to me. I thought I had lost it at first, so had to call someone to query about this.

Hope this would provide some helps to everyone who are going through similar process, good luck.

Kind regards,

Jason